Zello for the iPhone – It’s Alive!

By Jim Pickering on March 30, 2012

Austin Development Office

Hey everyone, Jim Pickering here.  I’m the Sr. developer on the Zello iPhone project.   We have been working hard to get Zello for iPhone out to you, thanks for being so patient.  We started this project back in November of 2011, so we really made quick work of it.  One of the reasons it has been so fun working on Zello is because we all use it.  My wife runs Zello on her PC in her upstairs office. I can talk to her from my downstairs office using Zello for iPhone.  “Can you go pick up the kids at school, I’m busy right now?  Well maybe I love it more than she does.  The neat thing is, you can reach anybody anywhere in the world. We live in Austin, my son uses it to talk to his friends in California, family in Portland and New Hampshire.

Check out the channels, add your friends, listen to a past conversation using the history feature.  Zello your husband (or wife) and tell him to get some milk on the way home.

Zello for iPhone also works with Zello@Work.  Check out this link for more information: Zello@Work

We have been burning the midnight oil getting 1.0 out to you, and now it’s time to stop and come up for air,  ahhhh.  Ok, that’s enough, back to work.  We have a lot of cool features on the way for upcoming releases.  Send us your ideas on what you would like to see in Zello, we love great ideas.

Download a free copy now: Zello for iPhone

Comments (21)

1. Hi Jim,

Used Zello for Android together with an iphone user today. It seems there are 2 problems:
    - sometimes the conversation gets interupted. i dont have this with android users.
    - sometimes zello crashes on this iphone. probably when switching between 3G/GPRS/WIFI.
    i already reported the first bug to Teresa too.
    greets

Comment by phil — March 30, 2012 @ 2:43 pm

2. Hello Jim, I think its great to finaly, well, hopefully very soon, we can have Zello on iOS.
    I just wanted to let you know so you can do something about it. Zello works just fine the only problem I see at least on almos 10 Android devices I have tested on, Baterry Life just drains very badly it just kills the device and on Blackberry the experience its worst, it wont last hald of day. I hope that not only for iPhone but also for the rest you ad your team can do something to improve since it is a great app.

Comment by William — March 30, 2012 @ 2:44 pm

3. Hi,

I’m a new Zello user, now that it’s available on the iPhone! I heard about your application from the review at:

I love the app, and the concept behind it! Also, good job on making the app almost entirely accessible to blind and visually impaired people, using Apple’s built-in Voiceover screen reading technology.

However, I have noticed some seriously irritating bugs, and I have one major complaint.

First, the bugs. Zello does not play well with headphones at all. When I connected my bluetooth headset to my Iphone, Zello quit sending and receiving messages entirely. The app had to be completely restarted when this happened; even disconnecting the bluetooth headset wouldn’t get the app to start working properly again.

When I connected a standard wired headset to my iPhone through the headphone port, everything worked fine when the headset was connected. However, as soon as I disconnected the headset, Zello decided to send all audio through the ear of the phone, rather than the speaker. In order to fix this, I had to press turn off speakerphone, then turn on speakerphone again to get audio back where I wanted it. Zello should remember that I had the speaker on when I plugged in headphones, and turn the speaker back on when I unplug them.

Lastly, my complaint. When sending audio from the PC version of Zello, it sounds absolutely wonderful. It’s high quality, clear, and everything I could ask for. But when sending audio from the iPhone, the audio quality is awful! I’m quite prepared to say that, comparing all of the major push to talk offerings on the iPhone, the audio quality offered by Zello when transmitting is by far the worst of any push to talk app on the market. Can you please, please, please consider offering iPhone users an option to upgrade the audio format when transmitting to the same one used by the PC version? As it is, people using the iPhone sound just stunningly terrible compared to people using the PC version. Zello is so good otherwise that this major problem really makes me sad. I understand if you have bandwidth limitations for users on 3G or edge. If that’s the problem, could you let Zello send better quality audio when connected to a wireless network? Or if you’re worried about your server bandwidth, I would be happy to make a $4 or $5 in app purchase in order to be able to transmit at a higher audio quality on the iPhone, if that would help.

Comment by fastfinge — March 31, 2012 @ 10:07 am

4. Hi guys, great to hear you have the ios5 version out , just wondering how you went with the battery life issue?

thanks again..Hunter

Comment by Hunter — March 31, 2012 @ 11:00 am

5. Thanks everyone for your feedback on Zello for iPhone.

We are looking into all the issues that have been discussed here.

Battery life is always an issue with an application that runs a lot and uses the network, and we are working on it. We also have plans to improve the audio quality on iOs.

For any issues you encounter (or feature requests) please submit a support request, that way the issue will get into our support system and get developments attention. Thanks.

Comment by Jim — April 1, 2012 @ 5:49 pm

6. I have been enjoying using Zello for the iPhone. The only thing that I find to be a problem is that people are able to cut me off when I am talking. Other than that, it is a great app!

I actually run a voicemail system, and it includes a chat room feature that queues messages in the order they are sent to the room. I would love to integrate that with Zello, but the SDK doesn’t seem to have any way of importing/exporting the audio files. There’s a “play” method, but that seems to just play the file directly to the PC speaker, but I was wondering if it would be possible to grab the audio data in order to convert it to the format that we require on our phone hardware, as well as send recorded audio up to your server that you would queue up as a message.

Comment by Phil — April 13, 2012 @ 9:51 am

7. Hi. Zello is a great App!
    I’m not sure what happens, but since I have installed this App I can’t receive phone calls. What can I do? I have a iPhone 4.

Comment by John — April 15, 2012 @ 11:16 am

8. [...] like crazy recently — with number of active users increasing 23% on average each week since iPhone release. April 25 was starting great setting a new record of 222k people online at the same time and all [...]

Pingback by Keep talking » April 25 outgage postmortem — April 29, 2012 @ 8:11 pm

9. For some reason, version 1.2 on the ipod touch can transmit messages to both clients on computer, but messages can’t be received on the ipod touch

Comment by Anonymous — May 9, 2012 @ 10:09 pm

10. how do you set zello for iphone to wifi-only mode?

Comment by Diana — May 21, 2012 @ 4:37 pm

11. i nedd the older version of zello because my iphone use the ios 3.1.3 .tanks

Comment by romulo — June 14, 2012 @ 2:43 pm

12. Hi
    The only problem is that Zello drains BATTERY
    Please solve it first.

Comment by Peter — June 19, 2012 @ 8:22 pm

13. zello is used for iPhone.
    Can PPT be pushed by Bluetooth? It cannot push in Bluetooth (Jabra) which I am using.
    Is it a problem of a device? Or doesn’t it correspond?

Comment by SAM — July 26, 2012 @ 7:54 pm

14. Does Zello use up a lot of data???

Comment by Rachel — August 1, 2012 @ 3:50 pm

15. please add autostartup for iphone like is available in the settings in android version

Comment by Dermo — August 23, 2012 @ 9:01 am

16. Hi,
    I need to know how can I creat a chat room in zello
    Tks,
    Essam

Comment by Essam — October 26, 2012 @ 11:27 am

17. Hi
    I need to know how can I creat a chat room in zello

Tks

Essam

Comment by Essam — October 26, 2012 @ 11:28 am

18. i want to ask y zello always crash whenever i connect?

Comment by kws — October 31, 2012 @ 1:57 am

19. Just downloaded Zello w2orks great my daughter and I use it to keep in touch.
    I use iphone 3gs and just love this app.
    when we use it we are using our data right thats my daughters only concern is it billing her for data use.

Love the app and software
    Thank you for the free download have told all my co workers.

Leo Toronto Ontario

Comment by Leo — November 27, 2012 @ 2:05 am

20. Pls..help me..my problem..can’t talk to zello but my version old version..pls send with me the lates version to my email..tq

Comment by poknakang — February 27, 2013 @ 2:26 pm

21. When speaking to our dispatcher, they often
    tell me I am sending an alert that blasts in their
    ear.

I don use the alert button, just the “mike” in the
    Center. I able to disable the alert?

Thanks!